Finance & Administration Manager, SOUTH AFRICA
The International Youth Foundation (IYF) invests in the extraordinary potential of young people. Founded in 1990, IYF builds and maintains a worldwide community of businesses, governments, and civil society organizations — now spanning 73 countries — committed to empowering youth to be healthy, productive, and engaged citizens. IYF programs are catalysts for change that help young people obtain a quality education, gain employability skills, make healthy choices, and improve their communities. To learn more visit www.iyfnet.org.
In South Africa, IYF’s mission is to: Support the strengthening of publically-funded training systems, so that these systems better empower youth to access and expand economic opportunity in the country. Through this mission, we partner with government and businesses to improve learning and workforce outcomes for youth enrolled in the TVET college system, and for unemployed youth participating in learnerships.
POSITION SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The primary responsibility of this position will be financial and operational leadership and oversight for the IYF South Africa office. This position shall be responsible for the administrative and financial management, accountability requirements, and human resources management of the office. In addition, this position will oversee compliance and reporting and manage our relationship with our donors. The Manager will provide technical assistance to staff in implementing and complying with financial and administrative procedures to ensure compliance with regulations and serve as the financial liaison to IYF USA, donors, other implementing partners and implementing units.
The Finance and Administration Manager will be based in the Johannesburg, South Africa office. The ideal candidate will be a person with a commitment to international development, youth programs and values-driven work environment, with a thorough understanding of accounting, finance, taxes, and payroll in South Africa.
- Responsible for all aspects of South Africa office financial management and accounting.
- Ensures compliance and consistency with IYF policies and procedures, as well as compliance with the terms and conditions of any donor agreements governing the work in the office.
- Acts as the IYF South Africa’s finance point of contact with local funders, maintaining good relationships and being responsive to their priorities and requests.
- Records and accounts for daily transactions, ensuring accuracy and completeness of required files and supporting documentation serving as evidence of transactions.
- Ensures sound cash management of local bank accounts and maintains petty cash fund.
- Processes cash disbursements in accordance with financial management policies and established approval levels.
- Processes payroll, remits tax and other government contributions and reports to local agencies.
- Responsible for full accounts payable function from procurement through payment of invoices.
- Process employee expense reimbursements.
- Ensures timely payment to all IYF payees and maintains sufficient and complete payee files.
- Prepares monthly financial reports for IYF Baltimore and internal management reports for the Country Director containing budget to actual expenditure information.
- Performs month-end closing and year-end duties such as reconciliations, VAT reimbursements, inventory lists, etc.
- Responsible for procurement activities in accordance with IYF procurement policy.
- Prepares and submits reports and filings in compliance with local government laws.
- Provide assistance to program staff in office and project budget preparation.
- Manages all matters related to the operations and administration of the office.
- Ensures registration requirements are kept current at all times and files statutory returns and renewals.
- In accordance with global IYF policies, develop, adapt, and maintain office-wide policy and procedures, including but not limited to transport, business cell phone use, travel and per diems, and expense reimbursement.
- Manages office lease to make sure it is current and amendments are processed as required.
- Oversees administration of human resources, including but not limited to, maintaining personnel files, assisting with recruitments and orientation procedures, purchasing and maintaining adequate health and other insurance policies.
- Ensures the IYF South Africa office has an overall compensation philosophy, organogram with staffing levels, and competitive and compliant benefits structure.
- Ensures the IYF South Africa office has an operational structure and systems that facilitate the regular and efficient use of technical/program consultants.
Manages local information technology contract ensuring infrastructure needs of the office are met, including properly functioning IT equipment, routine maintenance, security over IT (anti-virus software and regular backups). Promotes best practices on use of information technology (IT) to strengthen IYF South Africa’s operations and programming.
- Maintains office files.
- Operate office equipment, such as photocopy machine and scanner.
- Identify any problems and challenges that may arise and suggest solutions accordingly.
- Carries out any other tasks as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration (with accounting experience/knowledge) and 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a Finance Manager role on accounting/financial management of programs at a non-profit organization.
- 3-5 years’ experience providing administrative support to an international organization, including responsibility for procurement, contracts management, and HR-related matters.
- Experience in supporting the establishment of new NPO operations in South Africa, or significantly expanding an NPO’s operations, highly desired.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks multi-currency accounting software (field-based accounting).
- Experience with computerized accounting and strong organizational and leadership skills.
- High degree of digital literacy, with demonstrated experience in leveraging digital platforms to strengthen office and project operations.
- Strong analytical ability and attention to details.
- Excellent oral and written English fluency required.
- Ability to travel nationally, and potentially regionally/internationally.
- Driver’s license and personal vehicle.
- Commitment to IYF’s overall mission.
- Excellent communication, listening and interpersonal skills with ability to understand sensitivities in dealing with wide variety of people from many countries and cultures.
- Initiative, creativity, and flexibility, with demonstrated self-management.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, including working as part of an international team.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Ability to manage projects, deadlines, and priorities in high pressure environment.
Johannesburg, South Africa
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in South Africa; position is a local hire position and local nationals are encouraged to apply.