Programs Director, TANZANIA
For more than 25 years, the International Youth Foundation’s (IYF®) sole focus has been to help young people succeed. A global nonprofit organization, IYF believes success in life is secured by earning a livelihood. For most youth that means choosing a career path and landing that first job, while others decide to start their own small businesses or social ventures. Regardless of the road chosen, IYF has been by the side of more than 19.7 million youth in 105 countries empowering them to overcome the obstacles that lie in their way to leading productive, fulfilling lives. IYF is headquartered in Baltimore, USA, with field offices that include Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. To learn more visit www.iyfnet.org.
POSITION SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The primary responsibility of this position will be to lead, manage, and coordinate program implementation and learning across IYF Tanzania programs and staff, under the supervision of the Country Director. This position will provide strategic program leadership – including development of a country strategy, while infusing a strong culture of planning, coordination and learning. S/he will work closely with staff to coordinate the growing portfolio of programs, and support the Country Director with monitoring program implementation against annual work plans, for quality assurance.
The Programs Director will be based in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. The ideal candidate will be a person with a commitment to international development and a values-driven work environment, with demonstrated experience successfully supporting youth development programming in Tanzania and internationally.
Program Management & Operations
- Responsible for general program and operational oversight, including ensuring appropriate systems in place to effectively coordinate and implement programs.
- Ensure implementation of all aspects of projects in coordination with IYF program staff and regional teams to achieve program outputs and outcomes in accordance with donor expectations, grant agreements, and work plans.
- Ensure staff, trainers, consultants, partners, and resources are supported, available, and effectively utilized for successful program delivery, plus effective support to IYF Tanzania staff seconded to public institutions.
- Conduct regular programmatic and financial analyses – in close collaboration with the IYF Tanzania Country Director and Finance & Administration Manager, to ensure program outputs and outcomes reflect good value for donors and other key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with management and Country Director on development and execution of funding strategies.
- Support the expansion of the IYF Tanzania program portfolio by contributing to business development efforts, including cultivation of current and potential new partners.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL) and Reporting
- Working closely with IYF Tanzania’s MEL Manager and IYF USA’s MEL Director/team, provides leadership to the overall design and direction of MERL in Tanzania, with a particular emphasis on overseeing implementation of the country-level learning agenda and ensuring that it aligns with and contributes to IYF’s regional and global learning agenda.
- In collaboration with the Country Director and MEL Manager, produce effective program and learning reports, updating on developmental challenges facing the program, and articulating the program’s successes in meeting deliverables.
- Ensure learning agendas across programs are aligned and complementary to each other and to IYF’s institutional learning agenda.
- Coordinate the development of annual IYF MERL work plans and quarterly program reviews.
- Coordinate internal and external reflection workshops, annual and semi-annual stakeholder meetings, program retreats, and learning events.
- Coordinate, review and/or write draft donor reports.
Strategic Planning & Representation
- Provide input to IYF Tanzania strategic direction and program vision, in collaboration with the Country Director, staff, and IYF Baltimore team.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the country strategy.
- Facilitate team’s input to and review of IYF’s strategic plan. Represent IYF to external stakeholders, as necessary.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree and 8+ years of experience in program planning & management, knowledge management/learning, leading strategic processes and/or international development. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Established professional in Tanzania, with demonstrated ability to engage, maintain and build upon partnerships with donors, government and private sector stakeholders and community-based organizations. Strong networks within the public sector’s education and/or technical and vocational training systems preferred.
- Proven experience successfully managing programs, project teams, and creating a culture of engagement, collaboration and teamwork.
- Proven strategic planning, project management, and performance measurement experience.
- Ability to effectively balance communicating and working toward IYF Tanzania’s program vision with day-to-day program execution.
- Strong communications skills (written and oral in English and Kiswahili), including demonstrated ability to produce high-quality reports to donors as well as research/learning publications.
- Strong ICT skills, including MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Experience and knowledge in conducting data analysis, statistical software packages (SPSS, STATA, R), and management information systems a plus.
- Commitment to youth development and values-driven work environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal/communications skills appropriate for operating efficiently and effectively in a multicultural, international environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture relationships with partners, donors and other key external stakeholders.
- Excellent strategic planning, presentation, team-building and interpersonal skills, as well as an analytical ability to identify and establish priorities.
- Demonstrated creative and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, attend to details and work in a fast-pace environment.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor staff, build team and delegate. Refined ability to provide leadership and training to key personnel.
- Knowledge of performance and knowledge management a plus.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Please submit the following documents in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Tanzania – Programs Director" in the subject line:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
Applications will be reviewed as received. This is a local hire position, and local nationals are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please. To be considered for this position please follow application instructions.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.